Friday, June 30, 2006

Storms

Yesterday, Toronto experienced several strong thunderstorms. These were not the awe-inspiring things of Kansas, but they were pretty intense storms for this part of the world. I left the apartment around 1 pm to go to Latin and the sky was ominous. I got downtown around 1:30 and decided I had time to stop into McDonalds for a quick lunch. While enjoying my burger, the sky opened up and it just began to dump rain. I finished lunch and steadied myself for the 15 minute walk to Latin when it started hailing. I had an umbrella, but walking around in hail still didn't seem like a good idea. I waited about 5 minutes, but the rain and hail did not let up, so I took my sandals off and walked to class. The water on the sidewalks was over my feet up to my ankle, and I didn't want to ruin my shoes. I figured the streets woul dbe pretty clean after all of that rain. At least it wasn't hailing anymore.

Oh, wait... it did start to hail again, when I was about halfway there. The hailstones were really cold under my feet, but they were about pea-sized, so nothing dangerous. Still, you never know when hailstones will suddenly get huge on you. I got to Latin a little late, but I was soaked. Despite the fact that I had an umbrella, it really only served to keep my upper half dry. My skirt was absolutely soaked. I could wring water out of it.

But walking around in the rain with my shoes off was sorta fun. I felt like a little kid. I could have done without the hail, of course, and I don't like being outside when there is lightning, since that is dangerous, but otherwise it was fun. I didn't like sitting in Latin all soaked, but what can you do? I hope the Canada Day celebrations tomorrow will not be rained out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

In College when a really nice rain storm would start up, my friend Nini would insisit that we all go out and "frolic in the rain" which meant getting utterly soaked and messing about in puddles. It's actually quite marvelous, I miss it :)

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home